Wednesday, September 25, 2013

If I Should Have A Daughter (A Poem)

This is Sara Kay. She gave a TED talk and performed her poem entitled "If I should have a daughter".. I thought I'd steal her idea and write my version of what fatherhood to a girl would be like..
If I should have a daughter instead of "Dad", she's going to call me "Safety Net". Because that way she can jump as high as she wants and know she has me to always catch her when she falls.

And if karma decides I'm still in debt, then I won't mind putting her broken heart together when other boys break it. I'll stock up on superglue and gently piece each shard of heart together at night. She's going to learn that time has the ability to heal all things and that time has the ability to take things away. And if it's my time, I'll make sure her boy has enough superglue to last.

"And Sweet Pea", I'll tell her, "Don't let those people in magazines tell you how to tie your shoes.. because most likely they have never even touched a lace."

I want her to look at the world through a Polaroid camera. She'll see that with the right angles and lighting, only she has the ability to make this world look better. That with patience, the picture you want will always show up.

You will put the except in exceptional, the soul in soldier and the cookie back in the cookie jar.

And yes, on a scale from one to over-protective, I'm pretty damn crazy. I want her to know that this world is not big enough for our egos and that no one respects respect-less people.
"Baby", I'll tell her, "Remember, your papa is a dreamer... and I'm not the only one.. because your mama is a dreamer too. And you are the girl with hope tucked in your back pack and scooby doo night light.

Remember that nothing good happens after 3 and nothing bad happens after you pray. Always say thank you when life brings you lemonade. And make sure you say it twice when you only get lemons. But don't you dare take on the whole lemon tree by yourself.

And one day when they come with heartache in their hands and want to know where you got your faith from, you tell them you really ought to see your Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment