Thursday, September 5, 2013

Marvin Gaye- Let's Get It On (Why it's such a good song)

Although this song is easily construed as a sexual song portrayed by the media, it definitely means something to me other than just sex. The lyrics are very passionate, beautiful and can resonate with many people. It's no wonder the song was ranked 167 of Rolling Stones Magazines List of the 500 greatest songs of all time..


"I've been really tryin', baby
Tryin' to hold back these feeling for so long
And if you feel, like I feel baby
Then come on, oh come on"


It's a story of a man who's self control is being tested by meeting the love of his life. Other than today's music, songs talk about "getting it in" right away. There's no more patience these days and there's no surprise why love is hard to find these days. With this song it shows that the longer you wait for something, the more you can appreciate it when you have it.

"We're all sensitive people
With so much to give, understand me sugar
Since we got to be
Let's say, I love you"


Then he continues to talk to his love interest explaining that everyone is sensitive including himself. Not only is she taking a chance with love, but he's risking it as well. And since we are all capable of love, minus well give it since we're alive. Every day people act so cold but it doesn't have to be that way. To verbally say I love you is a dying form of expression these days. I would say it every day if I meant it. 

"There's nothin' wrong with me
Lovin' you, baby
And givin' yourself to me can never be wrong
If the love is true"


This is my favorite lyric, "There's nothing wrong with me loving you." He's reassuring his girl that there's nothing to be afraid of when it comes to true love. It also demonstrates that he's taking all the responsibility when it comes to their romance (something that most guys don't do these days). 

Sometimes we get so caught up of the consequences and what other people might think when it comes to loving some one new. We tend to beat around the bush and postpone the attraction, but it's so amazing when the truth comes out and the love is equal between both parties. 

I also love Jack Black's rendition of the song in the movie High Fidelity.



There's so many covers of this song which is pretty awesome.




No comments:

Post a Comment