Monday, September 30, 2013

The Power of Imagery and Long Term Goals

A few years ago my friends and I were heading out to a party. I was the designated driver and my friends were becoming so called "back seat drivers". I remember feeling frustrated whenever they would complain, "Why are you driving so shaky? You always drive like this." I wanted to stop the car and say, "Okay, that's it, we're going home."

One friend, who was quiet during the ride, gave me one of the most powerful and underestimated advice ever.. She said, "Mikey, try looking further down the freeway."

That's when I looked up and focused my attention toward the end of the road. This small action instantly cured my unstable driving. Little did I know that this whole time I was driving with my attention only a few feet away from my car.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like that story I just shared.

When we focus on the problems right in front of us, the ride of life will feel shaky and unstable. But when we just visualize where we want to be in the long run, the ride will become smoother and feel like it's on autopilot.




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Studies show that long term goals are 10 times more effective than short term goals.
So instead of complaining that this is hell week for your work out, imagine the results you can achieve in the long term. Think of the results you can achieve 3-5 months from now. A year from now.

For some reason we are always looking for the quickest and easiest solution to our problems. That shouldn't be the case. For example, someone can lose 5 lbs in a week to attend a pool party, but what happens after the party? Bad habits start to form again.

So start to make better health habits. Make it a "ritual" (as Tony Robbins like to say).
For example, I always take the stairs instead of elevators at work. Over time this really adds up and contributes to my long-term health.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing is believing. Believing is achieving. (based on the Law of Attraction)


A broke and aspiring actor once wrote himself a 10 million dollar check and left it in his wallet.
5 years later this actor received 10 million dollars after doing a movie called "Dumb and Dumber".
This actor was Jim Carrey.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my advice to you?

Look further down the road of your own life. Visualize the things you want, the things you want to achieve and where you want to be. Be specific and realistic. If you want to dream big, then dream big with the expectation that it'll become your reality.





No comments:

Post a Comment